To which country or University can I go? What documents do I need before going?
Can I apply to a scholarship? Check out our FAQ!

The University of Toronto offers a wide range of opportunities for students from all faculties. Whether you like to travel with your fellow classmates – the Summer Abroad program and the International Course Modules, or you enjoy the thrills of a solo travel experience – the Outbound Exchange program and the Research Abroad, the U of T offers it all! Explore the Learning Abroad website!

The Learning Abroad Website lists out the various international opportunities available to students. As soon as you have an understanding of the international opportunity you are interested in, click the “Learn More” button for the details attached to your international opportunity. The process and deadlines vary by program.

Kudos for completing your application for a Learning Abroad Opportunity!
While the application procedures vary from program to program, you would generally have to wait 4-6 weeks for your application result. Now is a good time to look at the nitty gritty details of your program, such as, the transfer credit processes, gathering the necessary funds, applying for any applicable funding options, visa applications etc. Visit our Prepare page to know more! After you receive the results of your application, you would then be required to attend a Safety Abroad Workshop and other workshops that may pertain to your program.

Most learning abroad opportunities offer funding options for select students. The eligibility requirements may differ for each program and there may be additional funding options available at your faculty. Find out more information on our Funding page.

Each program has a different eligibility criteria, which may/may not include a minimum number of completed credits. If you meet the eligibility criteria for your learning abroad opportunity (click “learn more” next to your preferred program for more details), you may apply to go abroad! However, the best time is generally when you do not have academic commitments that must be completed at U of T, for example, going on a student exchange program in your last term at the U of T is not recommended as you may not receive your credits in time for you to graduate!

Yes! You may transfer credits to your degree and/or your POSt (if applicable). To check out the list of pre-approved credits, check out the U of T Transfer Explorer. If your course does not appear in the U of T Transfer Explorer, it means you simply have to manually get the credits approved.

Courses taken abroad that are equivalent to your subject post requirement can be transferred towards your POSt. Kindly note that some degree requirements limit the number of transfer credits except for the credits earned over a student exchange program. Check your degree requirements to verify the number of transfer credits allowed.

Generally speaking, the cost of living in another country is comparable to students living on-campus at the U of T. Some institutions in Europe will be more expensive, however, institutions in Asia and South America will be comparatively less expensive. U of T offers a variety of scholarships and bursaries through the CIE and various other offices. For more information, visit the Funding page.

Housing availability varies from program to program. If you are attending another institution in your learning abroad opportunity, there is a high chance of student housing availability for that institution. If you have a research opportunity, housing may be arranged as part of your agreement. For more information click the “learn more” button next to the opportunity you are interested in.

If you are a domestic student and have not opted out of the UTSU Insurance, you are eligible for University of Toronto Student Union (UTSU) travel insurance. This is automatically available for all International students. For more information about travel insurance, check out the UTSU website.

Based on the length of your learning abroad opportunity, you can go abroad for as little as a few days to a full-academic year. Additionally, you can do multiple learning abroad opportunities throughout your time at U of T. Find out more about your opportunity and the length of your program by clicking the “learn more” button next to your opportunity.

Requests to meet returning students can be made with the respective learning abroad opportunity. A good opportunity to meet returning students is to attend the various promotional events run by the offices governing each learning abroad opportunity. For instance, the CIE hosts an annual student exchange fair where students from across the campus who have been on an exchange program meet other students who are interested in going on exchange. Such events happen throughout the year in different divisions. Visit our Contact page and reach out to us!

You may apply for as many bursaries as you are eligible for, in the term that you are planning your learning abroad opportunity. Kindly note that most bursaries and awards prioritize students who have not received the same awards in the past.

Eligibility and grade requirements vary for each learning abroad opportunity. An all-round student with above average grades and an interest in extra-curricular activities is an ideal candidate for most of the learning abroad opportunities.

You surely can! Whenever possible, we recommend that you get your courses pre-approved. Planning for graduation while abroad can be tricky! If you are on a learning abroad opportunity in your last term at the U of T and you are earning credits towards your degree, you may have to extend your graduation, as your credits may not transfer in time. If you are not earning credits during your learning abroad opportunity, you will be able to graduate on time, provided that your learning abroad opportunity ends before your graduation.

Depending on the experience, you may have little or no impact on your academics. If you are earning credits from your learning abroad opportunity, you may find it helpful to contact the transfer credit office (for students in faculty of Arts and Science only) or your college registrar (graduate level students contact their graduate unit), prior to your travel to pre-approve your credits and upon completion of your learning abroad opportunity. Kindly note that it is your responsibility to make sure that the credits you take abroad can be transferred to U of T.

There are some internships and work opportunities available to students, and they have a specific eligibility criteria. Explore the Learning Abroad website!

International students at U of T are eligible for several learning abroad opportunities, including the Student Exchange Program and the Summer Abroad Programs. Each opportunity lists out its eligibility criteria. Unless otherwise specified, learning abroad opportunities are open to all students at the U of T, and some are open to alumni as well.

Language requirements vary for each learning opportunity. Generally, there are ample learning abroad opportunities for only English speakers. To find out about the language requirements, check out the experience page.

Each learning abroad opportunity has a different application procedure and different fees. Some have an application or programs fee, while others don’t. Find an experience of your interest and click the “Learn More” button to find out the details of your learning abroad opportunity.

Based on your learning abroad opportunity and the country of your travel, there may be several safety issues. A student travelling at any U of T sanctioned travel has to attend a mandatory safety abroad session. This session orients students to the safety protocols in case of an unexpected event and helps students plan their travels better. To find out more about safety issues, visit the Safety Abroad page.

Each learning abroad opportunity has a different application procedure, thus, the travel procedures may also differ. Generally, students apply to their applicable learning abroad opportunity and await the results. If they are approved to travel, they will then follow the necessary steps to achieve a travel/work visa, get in contact with the host institution for their learning abroad opportunity and travel according to their sessional dates. Check out our Prepare page for further information.

In terms of academics or your program of study, you will likely continue your studies as normal. Depending on your learning abroad opportunity, you may have to reach your college registrar (graduate unit for graduate students). Kindly note that some students returning for a long term travel can feel fairly stressed out after returning home. There is help available in such a case. You may find it helpful to visit the International Transition Advisors at U of T or contact the U of T Health and Wellness Centre.

Depending on your learning abroad opportunity, you may have different visa requirements – work permit, study permit or none at all (if applicable). Generally, the host institution will send you exact details on visa procedures after you have been approved by U of T. Find out more about your learning abroad opportunity by clicking on “Learn More”.