In An Emergency

Keep in mind that your personal safety is the most important while you are traveling abroad. It is a good idea to familiarize yourself with basic local information of transportation, accommodation, culture and custom, political situation etc. before you leave. Also, knowing where to access helps in emergencies is fundamental to ensure a safe experience abroad.

U of T has partnered with International SOS to provide medical, security, emotional and logistical support and expertise for U of T’s international travelers.

By dialing one convenient number (+1 215-942-8478) you can:

  • Access general healthy, safety, and, security information on any region of the world (as a student or staff/faculty connected to student-related university activity)
  • Be connected to a network of health and security professionals operating 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
  • Obtain advice from a doctor, nurse, therapist of risk management professional directly over the phone before or during your trip
  • Get a referral to a local doctor, dentist or other medical professional near the location you’re at;
  • Access emotional and mental health support while abroad (each person is entitled up to 5 free sessions remotely per year);
  • Obtain emergency support and response for an urgent situation anywhere in the world

Connect with them now!

Phone+1 215-942-8478

Website: log on to the International SOS Member Portal with your University of Toronto email address . (Having difficulties logging in? Access the old version of the Member Portal )

App: Download their free Assistance App and chat with their professionals.

NOTE: The risk level for your destination used by the university to determine whether the university activity abroad can be undertaken, is set by Global Affairs Canada (GAC). Please refer to GAC when considering your eligibility to travel.

Students who are traveling abroad on a University sanctioned trip are required to use the Safety Abroad Registry (the Registry) and the International SOS Tracker (the Tracker) platform. International SOS is an external third-party platform that the University has contracted with to provide support to you in the event of an emergency or incident during a University sanctioned activity abroad. The University will provide International SOS with your name, date of birth, contact information and academic program. You will be required to upload information related to your travel into International SOS, including the type of activity, flight or other transportation information, and accommodation information. This information is collected by International SOS on behalf of the University, pursuant to section 2(14) of the University of Toronto Act, 1971, and is necessary for the University to protect the health and safety of its students while they participate in sanctioned activities abroad. The university will only access your International SOS information in the event of an emergency. 

Additionally, the University is pleased to offer students the option to use the International SOS 24/7 Emergency Service. The 24/7 Emergency Service is a hotline that you can call in the event of an emergency, for example an injury, health issue, loss of passport, etc. Information that you provide through the use of the 24/7 Emergency Service will only be shared with the University in the event of an emergency and/or in instances where the University is required to reimburse International SOS for services rendered to you.

If you have any questions about the International SOS Safety Abroad program, please contact Safety Abroad at

U of T Campus Safety

Phone: +1 416-978-2222

Should an emergency occur while abroad, you can always call U of T for support. To connect with Safety Abroad at any time, call U of T Campus Safety’s 24/7 emergency hotline: +1 416-978-2222.

When calling, please provide your student ID and call back number, and explain the situation. They will be able to connect you to Safety Abroad staff for assistance as soon as possible.

Safety Abroad at the CIE

Phone: 416-978-2564

During regular business hours, you may call the Centre for International Experience (CIE) for support at 416-978-2564. Please leave a message with your name, student ID and call back number if you are unable to speak to someone immediately. For situations that do not require an immediate response, you can email Safety Abroad at

In certain emergency situations, Global Affairs Canada may be able to help.

Important Emergency Numbers

It is always good to be prepared in case of an emergency while abroad. Prior to leaving, make sure you have a list of emergency numbers, or at least know where to find them in a hurry. As a U of T student on university activity abroad, these are some numbers you should remember:

You should also research the first responder numbers for the location you’re going to. The Assistance tab on the Travel Advice and Advisories page for your destination country, includes a list of all first responder emergency numbers for the country.

You may also want to consider downloading the International SOS Assistance app and the Global Affairs Canada Travel Smart app, for updated information about your destination while on the go. The Travel Smart app also includes local emergency numbers and Canadian consulate information.

Registration for Canadians Abroad

For Canadians, you are encouraged to register with the Registration for Canadians Abroad (ROCA) prior to travel. This free service allows the Canadian government to support you in case of an emergency by providing advice and important information in urgent situations.

If you are not travelling on a Canadian passport, check with the government associated with your passport. Other governments may offer similar services.