The Killam Fellowships Program provides an opportunity for exceptional undergraduate students to spend either one semester or a full academic year as an exchange student at one of the participating institutions in the United States. Credit load and housing information varies by institution.
All applicants for the Killam Fellowships Program must:
- Be Canadian citizens
- Be nominated by CIE
- Be full-time undergraduate students in good standing
- Have a superior and competitive academic record
Direct Exchange member institutions:
Arizona State University
Bridgewater State University
Florida Polytechnic University
Miami Dade College
State University of New York College at Plattsburgh
University of California at Irvine
University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa
University of Maine
University of Texas at Austin
University of Virginia
University of Washington
You will attend the host institution as an exchange student while continuing to pay fees to U of T.
1. Submit the application to CIE and send the following documents as attachments to email@example.com by December 4, 2023:
- Proof of Citizenship (pdf, passport)
- Curriculum Vitae (pdf, up to 3 pages, 12 point font, 1″ margins)
- Unofficial Transcript(s) from all post-secondary education institutions (pdf)
- Personal Statement (pdf, 1 page, single spaced, 12 point font, 1″ margins)
- Course Selection Forms (PDF) (pdf, 1 form per institution, up to 3 institutions, to be signed by the CIE Advisor)
2. If you are nominated by CIE (nominations decisions will provided in early January) will then submit a separate application to Killam Fellowships Program by January 31, 2024. You would need to submit two references directly to Killam.
Open competition: if you are interested in an American institution that is not part of the Killam partnership, apply for the award through the open competition (deadline: January 31, 2024). You may apply for the award directly to the Foundation. You will attend the host institution as a non-degree student. All fees will be paid to the host institution.
Funding: the program provides award of 6,000 US$ per semester, fully covered health benefit plan, a 3-day orientation in Ottawa, and a 3-day spring seminar in Washington. All Killam Fellows are also eligible to apply for a mobility (in-country travel) grant up to 800 US$ to travel within the host country.